Before you rent out your property

Other information and advice for landlords:

Before you rent out your property

Although there is no specific permission required before you rent out your property, there are certain requirements you must comply with in order to avoid the possibility of any legal action being taken against you as follows:


All residential premises need to provide a reasonable degree of protection in the event of a fire. If your property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) you will need to ensure that it has enhanced fire precautions installed depending upon the height and layout of the property as well as the number and background of the occupiers.


If the property has a gas supply then the entire gas installation (appliances, pipework and flues) must be maintained in safe working order. The gas installation must be examined and tested annually by a Gas Safe Registered contractor and a landlord’s gas safety certificate obtained which must be shown to all new tenants before they move in and to existing tenants within 28 days of the date it was issued. You must keep the gas safety certificate on record for at least two years. If the property is a HMO then you must provide the gas safety certificate to the Council within 7 days if requested to do so in writing.

Planning and building regulations

If you are extending or converting a house in to flats or multiple occupation (HMO) you may need to obtain planning permission. Many types of building work involving the structure of the house, drainage, the electrical installation, and replacement windows may also need to comply with regulations.


If your property is a licensable HMO (three or more stories in height and occupied by five or more persons living as more than one household and sharing at least one amenity) then you must ensure it is licensed. The property must meet particular accommodation and management standards as conditions of the licence. If your property is a HMO but it is not licensable (fewer than three stories or fewer than five households) you will still need to adhere to the HMO management regulations. Similar property standards in terms of amenities, fire precautions and heating will be applied to non-licensable HMOs, which are actionable through the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS).


Any upholstered furniture that you supply with the property will need to comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations.


If your property is a HMO but it is not licensable, the electrical wiring in the property must still be safe. Under the HMO Management Regulations, the council can ask you to provide a valid electrical safety certificate. You must provide this within 7 days of our request so best practice dictates that you carry out regular electrical installation inspections.


We do not always have to inspect your property, but in some cases it could be necessary if your property is a HMO. If your property has been licensed as a HMO then we must inspect it within 5 years of the licence application date to assess whether there are any hazards in need of attention under the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS). How soon your property is inspected within that five year period will depend upon the degree of risk as assessed from the licence application details.