Immigration Right to Rent checks

If you are taking on a new tenancy and renting it as your main home, you must prove that you have a right to rent property in England.

You will be exempt from this requirement if you live in:

  • student accommodation, for example halls of residence
  • accommodation provided by your employer as part of your job or training
  • social housing
  • accommodation provided by the council
  • hostels and refuges
  • a care home, hospital or hospice
  • accommodation with a lease of 7 or more years

Your landlord (or letting agent) must:

  • check your original documents to make sure you have the right to rent a property in England
  • check the documents of any other adults living in the property
  • make copies of your documents and keep them until you leave the property
  • return your original documents to you once they’ve finished the check

Your landlord must not discriminate against you, for example because of your nationality.

Here you can read private renting information from

This website is using cookies. By continuing to use this site you confirm you are happy with this. I agree