Household costs


Your tenancy agreement or contract should tell you what your rent is and how and when it will be reviewed. You may have to pay a deposit. If you’re having difficulty paying the deposit, contact the Rent with Confidence Team about the Council’s rent deposit guarantee scheme. If you have an assured short hold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007 your landlord must put your deposit in a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme.

Council tax

You should ensure that you are registered for Council Tax with the Council. Properties where all the occupants are full time students may be exempt and you can obtain further information from the City of Wolverhampton Council website.

Gas, electricity and water bills

Check whether these are included in your rent. If not, you will have to pay them to the utility companies. Your landlord should be able to provide you with the details of existing providers.


It is recommended that you take out an Insurance policy for your personal possessions including clothing, jewellery and other valuable items.

TV license

If you have a TV, you’ll probably need a TV license. Visit the Government website for more information.

This website is using cookies. By continuing to use this site you confirm you are happy with this. I agree